Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Feast for the eyes

I can't believe all that my eyes have seen today. I'm exhausted right now after a wonderful day touring local neighborhoods and markets in Guangzhou, but I'm so excited to share some pictures, so I am staying awake.

I told my mom tonight when I spoke to her that I feel like I saw an entirely different world today. Guangzhou feels 'far away'  but the people and things I saw today made me feel like I had taken a step back into another time. 

Sarah Yana, a co-worker of mine here in S&S Guangzhou, spent most of her day today showing me around some of the most amazing little corners of the city. I took about 250 pictures in 5 hours - not kidding. I had photos on my mind while Sarah had another agenda: she was out perusing the Jade markets for gems to use in her jewelry making and she was also searching for the perfect "Red Pockets" for the upcoming Chinese New Year. "Red Pockets" are the envelopes in which superiors in the office put gifts (Chinese money) for each member of their team to celebrate the New Year. 

Sarah and I started our day at noon with lunch at a German outdoor cafe, then we began meandering our way along the busy streets: first to the markets selling "tschotkes" (Sp???) for Chinese new year, then we moved along to the dried fruit, fish, and nut market, followed by a visit to a beautiful old Buddhist temple, and finally into the meandering alleys and streets of the Jade market. 

Sarah and I walked at least two miles today through the markets, so we were exhausted by 5pm. We then went to her house where I met her husband, 13 year-old son, and two dogs. Then the four of us went to dinner at a delicious Japanese restaurant in the city that is very popular with ex-pats. Delicious sushi and an amazing day all-around. 

I can't thank Sarah enough because I would have never had the opportunity to see such a local area. Sarah and I were the only non-Chinese people we saw all day. Not one tourist. It was incredible and like nothing I have seen before.

Above are a few of the pics from today. I will be posting more on Shutterfly and will send the link if you want to look through them all (I have edited it down to about 100 pics). 

Tomorrow AM, I am having a manicure and pedicure at a place all the girls in the office have recommended. I'm told it is a very nice place (the CEO of the office goes there, too) and it will cost less than $10. If it's as good as they have described it, I might have found my new GZ pastime!!

No comments:

Post a Comment