Thursday, January 8, 2009

Small victories!







Little by little things are starting to look more familiar to me here and I'm actually starting to get my bearings. It is still a maze of very tall buildings and wide streets and tons of bridges, but tonight I rode home in a taxi and I actually 100% knew where I was going! A small victory that made my night. 
 
Since I'm getting into a little routine here: waking up, oatmeal for breakfast (courtesy of the U S of A), taking a taxi, stopping by Starbucks, getting my latte and then settling in at my desk, I thought I would post some sights from my AM commute. It actually feels a lot like NY in a way. 

1. Upon request, a picture of the taxi cabs (look how organized they are on the road.......it's very orderly here... ahem) and then also the inside of the taxi (a TV, just like in NY but metal bars instead of plexi glass). 

2. Outside of the S&S Office 

A few other sights from this morning....

3. I had not noticed the Haagen-Daaz before.... nothing more 'All- American' than ice cream... I think that will need to happen soon.

4. A woman frying eggs on the sidewalk with a crowd of people lined up to order! The bag next to her is all the egg shells... I really couldn't believe this was happening right on the corner. Is this China's version of NY's hot dog cart? 

Beyond that, lunch today is worth mentioning. There is a small cafe on our office floor where they cook you lunch. Literally, you order and then they spend about 15 minutes cooking it and then it get served on a tray. For about $6 today, I had a pork and rice dish with some veggies and then cream of mushroom soup and a Pellegrino. It's not exactly my first choice for lunch, but it was quite the spread.

I left the office late tonight and a co-worker said to me, "have a nice dream." Here's hoping for a good night's sleep tonight!!






No comments:

Post a Comment