If you are at all squeamish or a hard core vegetarian, you may not want to look at the pictures below. All of these were taken in the same building: a warehouse of sorts that housed the "wet market." Vendors inside were selling everything from gorgeous, vibrant-colored vegetables, to fresh and dried fish, spices, to eggs, to crabs to eels, to live chickens. It was intense. I sort of just stumbled in here and was blown away. The vendors were not big fans of my camera, so I couldn't get great shots, but this will give you a sense anyway.....
The fish vendor. All of these fish were not alive.
A chef purchases her veggies from this merchant.
Asleep on the job! No joke - it is not that I just caught them briefly with their eyes closed. They were fully sleeping.
In contrast to the fish above, these were all VERY MUCH alive. I got close at one point to take a picture and a fish started splashing around. FREAKED me out. I am not into creepy crawly things and there were crabs (she is handling one above), eels/snakes, live fish......

A shot of the market so you can see the overall look. The floor was pretty wet, especially near the live fish, so I was terrified the whole time of slipping and falling into a stall of who knows what!??! I was very careful.....
These are cages of live Chickens...
And I'll leave you with that.... my day in Shanghai.
No comments:
Post a Comment