Thursday, January 22, 2009

You'd be curious, too!

Ok, so definitely not one of my most "authentically Chinese" moments, but today I decided I had to try the Subway (sandwich shop - not train) downstairs. I was so curious what it would be like - would it smell the same? taste the same? sell the same tuna sandwich I get in NYC? (I know, a bit gross, but it is what I get every once in a while!) The answers are: no, yes, and yes. It did not have that distinctive bread smell that is pumped out of the Subways in America, but most everything else was the same. The only thing missing from my sandwich was my normal spicy mustard. Nothing like that here! 

Notice the beverage menu is a bit different... all sorts of hot tea. 

Here it is: I don't usually have an orange flavored pellegrino or regular potato chips, but "when in Rome..."I noticed another flavor of potato chips was "italian flavored beef." No, thank you. 


And, last but not least, to add to my very American experience at lunch today, I had to try the Haagen Dazs, too. Exhibit A above is the cookies & cream.... almost identical taste to what I've had in the States. 

So there you have it... a bit of a "cheat" today at lunch to run to the American spot, but oh well! It had to happen one day.

There was a lot of excitement in the office today as everyone prepares to head off for Chinese New Year. It's a bit like being in NYC just prior to the big Christmas holiday: everyone buzzing around, chatting about plans, and saying "See you next year!" 

I'm taking the train to Hong Kong tomorrow morning and will spend the night there before getting on my plane Saturday AM to meet Bri in Tokyo. FINALLY! It's been almost 3 weeks since we've seen each other, and I can't believe it's finally here. Thank goodness! 

I'll hopefully post from HK tomorrow night... but in the meantime, Happy early New Year and welcome the Year of the OX!!!

 

1 comment:

  1. the italian flavored beef chips are too funny. i laughed out loud and read it to my dad.

    ReplyDelete