Thursday, January 15, 2009

From Pizza Hut to "I don't know what"










Today I was part of a day-long session to try figure out how to position a new product for Olay's Natural White line. This is a line of products that helps women have "fairer" or lighter skin. Asian women aspire to a very light skinned look, so these products are some of the most popular products on the market here. I remember thinking this was strange when I first heard of it when I started working on Olay, but I've gotten more used to the idea now. 

During the meeting, we learned about a lot of ways, other than using products, that younger Asian women achieve fair skin with the desired "rosy glow" on their cheeks. Traditional Chinese Medicine says that eating Chinese dates helps promote blood circulation and therefor can help you get a rosy glow. Also, eating black skin chicken (?!!!), donkey skin gel (!!!!!!), and snake soup can help. I actually heard a consumer talk about soup that was "moisturizing." 

After discussing these delicious home remedies for skin, it was time for lunch! The picture (top) above is of the group eating the Pizza Hut pizza & McDonald's that they served for lunch. I have to admit, I was excited. 

But, the more interesting cuisine today came at dinner tonight with Iris, JC, and Sylvia. They took me to a Hot Pot restaurant which is a bit like fondue - you cook a bunch of raw food in a center pot, dip your cooked item in a little sauce, and then eat it. It was a delicious, though somewhat scary: raw fish paste balls, minced raw pork balls, tofu wrapped raw fish, raw beef, raw oysters, mushrooms and some other veggies... It turned out to be a really delicious meal, but I have to admit that eating meals here is often like putting on the brave face that I use in the back of taxi cabs.... I'm always a bit worried this could be "the meal" that makes me sick! 

Off to bed! Goodnight and hope everyone is having a good week and staying warm!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment