Today marks the end of my first work week in China. I'm going to call it a success. I've learned to navigate my way to and from the office, I am getting over the jet lag, and I have tried many new things already. Today I added a few new things to list of my China experiences...
- Breakfast at my desk: The office serves free breakfast every morning, so I decided to try it. Usually I am a breakfast at home person, but today I sat at my desk and had Guangzhou-style rice noodles with soy sauce and then congee with pork and a green veggie. Congee is sort of like oatmeal, but it's made with rice (I think.) It looked a little bit like lunch, not breakfast, but it wasn't bad and the rice noodles were actually delicious.
- Bubble Tea & Taiwanese food: For lunch today my co-worker, Jessy, took me to a Taiwan style restaurant and introduced me to the Taiwan specialty: bubble tea. I've seen it in the states but have never had it. Yum... a milky tea drink with little gelatin-like balls in it. I'll be having this again :) During lunch, as she observed my chopstick skills, Jessy also taught me that there is a right and wrong way to use them. Typically I consider it a success if the food doesn't fall out of the chopsticks, but apparently there is more to it. I have it all wrong. So, now I am a bit self conscious with the chopsticks .... ;)
- My first Mandarin lesson here in China: (Actually it was my second, but I didn't want to screw up the theme!) Above is a pic of my instructor, Christina. We'll be meeting a few times a week while I'm here. Maybe by the end of it, I will actually be able to communicate with the taxi drivers and understand some of the side conversations my co-workers have in the office! If nothing else, it's challenging, it makes me laugh, and it's a humbling experience.
- My first trip to a Western style grocery store!!!! YES. I was like a kid in a candy store.... much better than day 1 in the 7/11.
I just realized that about 80% of what I post is about food! I think that will change as I get someone used to things here.
Well, it's Friday night, and after having dinner with a co-worker tonight, I'm home and just relaxing with a glass a wine... not entirely different from a very low-key night in NYC (minus Brian). I have plans to tour the city tomorrow with another co-worker, so I hope to have some good pics to share after that. I miss everyone at home! :) Keep the emails coming - they really brighten my day!
Ha ha - you do post a lot about food, but it's all interesting! Enjoy your weekend, take lots of pics!
ReplyDelete